Eric R. Waltmire
- To practice law in Illinois
- To practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- To the trial bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District Court of Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Past Chairman of the Internet and Computer Law Subcommittee of the Intellectual Property Section Council.
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member
- Past Chairman of the Intellectual Property Committee
- 2011-12 Editor-in-Chief of the Association’s scholarly legal journal, the DCBA Brief
- American Inns of Court, DuPage Chapter, Member
Education and Background
- J.D., magna cum laude, Southern Illinois University School of Law
- Class Rank: Number 4 out of 108 Students
- Articles Editor, Southern Illinois University Law Journal
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi Legal Honor Society
- B.S., Southern Illinois University
- Major: Computer Science
- Minors: Business and Math
Prior Legal Experience
Before joining the Erickson Law Group, he clerked for the judges of the Eighteenth Circuit Court of Illinois. During law school, he clerked at a civil litigation firm and at the Illinois Attorney General’s Office.
- The Preservation Three Step: What Every Lawyer Should Know to Protect a Client’s Potentially Patentable Assets, DuPage County Bar Assocaition’s Legal Journal, DCBA Brief (2010).
- How to Secure Your Client’s Brand Against Counterfeiting Operations in Asia, DuPage County Bar Assocaition’s Legal Journal, DuPage County Bar Assocaition’s Legal Journal, DCBA Brief (2009).
- How to Admit or Exclude PBT Results, Illinois Bar Journal (2008).
- How does the Illinois Eavesdropping Statute apply in the educational setting?, Intellectual Property Section Newsletter, Illinois State Bar Association (2008).
- When are Internet Communications not “Electronic Communications” under the Illinois Eavesdropping Statute?, DuPage County Bar Assocaition’s Legal Journal, DCBA Brief (2008).
- What Professional Speakers Need to Know About Intellectual Property, National Speaker Association, Illinois Chapter Meeting (2012).
- Wikileaks: Liability for Publication or Hosting Information on the Internet, Cyberlaw Symposium, Intellectual Property Section, Illinois State Bar Association (2012).
- Protecting Intellectual Property, Business Innovation Conference at Illinois Institute of Technology, Wheaton (2012)
- Patents: A Step In Protection Product Value, New Product Development Workshop at SCORE Chicago (2011).
- Patents: A Step In Protection Product Value, New Product Development Workshop at SCORE Chicago (2009).
- How using Open Source Impacts Patent Rights and Startup Acquisition Opportunities, Saper Law Open Source Symposium (2009).
- Patenting Software, Internet Technologies, and Business Methods in view of Bilski v. Doll, Intellectual Property Seminar, Illinois State Bar Association (2009).
- Practical Advice on Trademarks, DuPage County Bar Association, IP Committee Meeting (2008).