Frequently Asked Patent Questions
The following are answers to questions we frequently encounter regarding patents and the patent application process.
1. Initial Considerations
- What is a Patent?
- What is an Invention?
- Patent Costs
- Do I need a design patent or a utility patent?
- Do I need a patent to sell my product or service?
- What if someone else invented with me?
- Should I create a prototype before applying for a patent on my invention?
- What is a NDA (NonDisclosure Agreement)?
2. Patent Searching and Opinions
- What is Prior Art?
- What is a patentabiliy search & opinion?
- What is a clearance or freedom to operate search & opinion?
- How do I find my competitor’s patents or patent applications?
3. Patent Application Drafting and Filing
- Should I start with a provisional or a non-provisional patent application?
- Should I write my own patent application?
4. Patent Pending/Prosecution after Filing
- What is patent pending?
- How to stop copiers during patent pending?
- What happens after the patent application is filed?
5. After the Patent is Granted
6. Foreign Patents and International Patent Applications